Our hall threshold was in need of a reboot. The user interface was way out of date, and there were some connectivity issues between the floorboards and the bricks that were causing some system crashes. Time to ditch the old code and start the redesign!

We started by tearing out the offending tile, much like starting a new website with a fresh style sheet. We used a Dremel to make the precision cuts in the grout that would later interface with the threshold itself.


Jake and I spent the better part of a day around the whiteboard in our workspace, measuring and documenting every inch of the place in the hall where a threshold used to be. We assessed all the interdependencies between the tile, the new threshold, the door, the door frame. Moisture was considered, tolerances raised to accommodate swelling. This user interface redesign would take into account the needs of everyone who would interact with it, especially people with limited mobility.


Not satisfied with the look and feel we were getting with the whiteboard, Jake and I migrated our work to the computer. We could only design the threshold of our dreams in a program like Adobe Illustrator, which would be accurate to at least 1/16”.


After many design iterations, we concluded that to meet the requirements of the job, the threshold would have to be made from two separate pieces, and adjusted in place before being firmly attached to the concrete beneath. The back end code was gonna be solid in this thing, with two screws attaching the bottom piece of oak to the concrete subfloor.


Using a precision tool like a table saw is like finding a great back-end coder to customize your WordPress site — you get the result that you want, it’s nice and clean and elegant, everything fits together well, the edges are smooth, and it looks good on a wood floor. Er, maybe not that last one.


The reboot is complete! Our redesigned threshold is launched, with minimal bug fixes and huge improvements to the user experience.